Director of Operations and HR 2012-Present
King of Pops is an Atlanta-based maker of handcrafted, gourmet popsicles. Conceived by two brothers overlooking the beach in Central America, we have grown from a single push cart in 2008 to more than 200 employees across 6 states today. I was the one that told the founders the name was cheesy as the considered launching the business, but they let me join up in 2011 anyway.
- •Brought on to
improvecreate our catering processes, I more than doubled revenue in each of the first two years I held that role.
- •Today I oversee the day-to-day operations of each city's sales operations as well as being the entirety of the HR department.
- •I consistently work twice as many hours as I ever did in your typical corporate gig, but I am consistently twice as happy as well.
Sales Representative 2011-2012
Listen360 is a SaaS company based in Atlanta, GA that offers customer feedback solutions based on the Net Promoter Score methodology (think surveys, only shorter and cooler). Launched in 2007, I came on board in 2010 as a junior sales rep. I did a lot more than just run demos-but I also did a lot of demos.
- •Your basic road-warrior, I represented Listen360 at tradeshows in Atlanta, Denver, Dallas and Las Vegas.
- •Together with the head of sales, crafted software demo program and learned more than I thought possible about customer satisfaction, business retention, and Net Promoter Score.
- •When the opportunity to leave for a position at King of Pops came about, I helped transition two prospective customers to closure during transition out of position. Only regret: there was no bell to ring at my desk once deals closed.
Six Sigma Black Belt 2004-2011
Textron is a conglamerate that you have probably never heard of, but you probably have heard of some to the companies it owns. Cessna Aircraft. Bell Hellicopter. E-Z-G0 Golf Carts. I worked for the financial services arm of this giant, first as a field rep and then worked my way up to Six Sigma Black Belt (which is a fancy way of saying process improvement consultant).
- •As part of the Six Sigma role, I delivered more than 200 hours of corporate training and had some of the best classroom evaluation scores in the company.
- •I closed projects that resulted in more than $1.5 million in hard savings to the company.
- •I learned a lot about what it meant to work at a large corporation lined with cubicles (some of it good, some of it bad) and came out a more professional, well-rounded person for the experience.
Substitute Teacher 2003-2004
Nashville just so happens to be the city where I was born, but I had not been back there for 20 years when I decided to move there in 2003. It was the kind of move you do when you are 23 and don't have a plan (nor a worry in the world). I was fortunate to land a job as a substitute teacher with the public school system.
- •Responsible for a classroom of kids ranging anywhere from Kindergarten to High School seniors.
- •Was able to get a few long-term assignments thanks to the detailed daily reports I got in the habit of leaving.
- •Gained immense respect for real teachers, the most thankless, important job in America.
The Union-Recorder is a daily newspaper in Milledgeville, GA. Its claim to fame is that it is the states oldest continually published paper. Despite note having a journalism degree, I applied to more than 100 newspapers after I graduated college and this the only one that wrote me back. I accepted an offer in 2002 and was assigned to the city government beat.
- •Wrote daily articles about everything from a nearby cult that had been recently broken up by the GBI to the haunted house that I unknowingly rented when I moved there.
- •Was put on "Most Wanted List" by above referenced cult.
- •Will never forget the thrill of seeing name in print each morning, no matter the circulation.
Won class spelling bee in 3rd grade (final word: squirrel)
Got kiss from prettiest girl at school (Brionne Gordon)
Shiloh High School
Mr. Senior Class (awarded to most popular non-drinker)
12th Man on Varsity Basketball Team (Final record: 4-20)
University of Georgia
B.B.A Marketing 2002
Impressionable 18 year old that changed majors 5 times
Skated by on above average smarts to an almost 3.0 GPA
University of Georgia
M.Ed. HR and OD 2011
Training and development specialization
Worked butt off this time, earning a 4.0